Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Praying for Speeders

Every time I see an ambulance or hear a siren, I say a prayer for the drivers of the emergency vehicles, the people that may be hurt or sick, and the families of those people.  It is usually a quick prayer.  I also do this if I see a funeral procession.  I say a quick prayer for the priest(s) of any church that I pass.   I have always done this.  I have passed this habit on to my children.

Today Sam and I saw a policeman who had obviously stopped a speeder on the interstate.  Sam reminded me to say a prayer.  I said, "God, I pray for the policeman and the woman to be safe."  Sam told me that I needed to say a longer prayer and I explained to him that the woman was probably speeding and the policeman was reminding her that she needed to slow down and I just ask God to keep both of them safe today.  He looked irritated with me.  He began to say his own prayer...God, please help the lady to slow down so my mommy can get to Lafayette and help the policeman to stop all of the speeders.  I looked down at my speedometer and realized that I was one of those speeders.  Oops!

I am always late and always in a hurry.  I pass on good habits (praying) and bad ones (driving) too.  One day I will have six drivers.  I hope that they don't remember the time that I ran into Daddy's truck in the driveway (OK, the TIMES that I ran into Daddy's truck in the driveway), the time (TIMES) that I have run red lights and stop signs (always accidentally), or the times that I speed.  I hope that they don't text and drive (or Facebook and drive).  I really just pray that they are at least as good as I am at my best and way better than me at my worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment