Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Lions, Tigers, Bears...Oh My!

Blessings come in abundance but even Dorothy knew that trials tend to come in threes.  Last night our lion, tiger, and bear were three tests.  Not just any three tests but a three chapter humanities unit test, a science chapter test, and a religion chapter test.  We have been studying for that humanities test for a week.  This morning Annelise put her book and study guides in her backpack and knelt at out prayer table and called on God.  I forget sometimes in the midst of turbulence to call on Him for guidance, wisdom, and strength.  She had done all she could do and turned it over to Him.

Katherine has been reviewing science every night for the past week also.  The material is new and harder for her to grasp.  She typically learns things quickly and this struggle has affected her.  I asked Jason to study with her hoping that he could bring a fresh take on the scientific method.  He must have done a good job because Sam was talking about investigating and inferring this morning.

Meredith always does well on her religion tests.  However, I knew that she needed help studying.  It was not because she didn't know the material but because she needed the time with me.  It seems that every night I spend the most time with the child who has the most homework.  This is usually not her so she gets pushed aside too many days.  I love studying for religion tests with my children because it reminds me to talk about our faith and God's presence in our lives.  I relate the life of Jesus and the other men and women in the bible to our lives.  Even though it was a busy night, I am glad that I had to take time out for her.

School is often overwhelming for this mom of six.  I loath homework.  As a teacher I know its importance but as a mom I hate its presence in our lives.  I would rather be picking flowers or watching the new calves outside.  I would rather be enjoying a meal together and talking about the day instead of Amun-Re, anemometers, or dangling participles.  I would rather do just about anything than homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment