Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Genevieve's First Word

Genevieve now says "No".  I don't know why I was surprised that this was her first word besides DaDaDaDa and MaMaMa.  I say this word eleven thousands times a day.  "NO, you cannot go outside."  "No, you cannot have a friend over when your room looks like that."  "No, you cannot bite the dog."

I say "no" about forty-seven times more that yes.  I blame this on my children.  They never ask me questions that I would answer yes to.  They are always asking for expensive toys, adventures, or adding stuff to the schedule.  If they would only ask things like:

"Can I clean the bathroom?"
"Can I fold those clothes for you?"
"Do you want some time alone?"
"Can you buy yourself those new outrageously expensive boots instead of buying us food this week?"

I would answer "YES" to these in a heartbeat!  Jason and I had to tell Annelise no today.  It was hard because I knew that she really wanted a yes.  I couldn't say yes because I couldn't add any more activities to our already hectic schedule.  I saw the disappointment in her face and the sadness in her heart.  She didn't handle the decision well and I didn't handle her reaction well.

Don't these children know that I could be a much better parent if they would just ask the right questions and accept the answers?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment