Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Dads are Dads and Moms are Moms

Like most families that I know, Jason and I have clear rolls in our household.  I know what I take care of and the same for him.  I am not talking about the 1950s version of mom jobs and dad jobs but a division of labor that suits us.  Genevieve has been sick all week and often when this happens our rolls get muddled.  Jason had to pick up the children from school while I saw about her.  The children got soft drinks and candy for an afternoon snack.  They waited for me to start on their homework and that was just fine with Jason (not so much with me).  He went grocery shopping for me after the children had been bathed.  Apparently we are eating Little Debbie cakes and chips this weekend and I am now drinking decaf coffee.  The printer ink was forgotten...I guess Annelise will have to WRITE her essay with a pen on paper.  He said not to worry about supper because he would bring something back from town.  We ate Taco Bell at 9:15.

He is rarely sick.  Six years ago he had back surgery and I had to pick up the slack for him.  I was equally as bad at his job as he is at mine.  I forgot to put out the trash and had to call someone to cut the grass.  I often think that I am better at things than he is.  I am better than he is at my jobs but not even close at his.  Instead of fussing this morning when I realized that I would be drinking coffee without the necessary kick, I remembered that we are a team and we do our best.  This is a huge moment in my control-freak life!

1 comment: