Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Antiquing with Sam

Sam and I and a friend and her children went to Firefly's, a cute antique shop, in Rayne today.  Sam was amazed by the goodies.  I was nervous that he would touch everything.  He looked at each treasure with awe.  He had never seen so many wonderful things in one place...horse shoes, a glass fishing float, an iron bed, and bird "traps" (cages).  He kept asking for things for his birthday or Christmas.  He loved everything that had character which was pretty much everything.  He talked extensively on the ride home about a wooden pew and a boat (an old bathtub).  He wants that pew so he can sit and think.  He wants that "boat" so he can sail in the gulf and catch dolphins.  His imagination was in overdrive just seeing those old gems.

Sam is a little like those antiques.  He is a little rusty, a little crooked, and a little quirky.  He likes fun and adventure and not rules and such.  He has stories to tell.  He has character too.  I thought about my Sam as he told me about all the things that he saw.  He has trouble sitting still and trouble paying attention.  He likes movement, chaos, and action.  Recently, I was told that Sam was bad...he didn't listen and he couldn't stay quiet.  That hurt my heart because while I know this is true, I know he is sweet, loving, and a thinker.  The world needs all types of people especially his type.  He won't be one to follow the rules or to wait on others.  He will follow his heart and make his own way.  He will ask for explanations and test boundaries.  I celebrate his uniqueness!

No comments:

Post a Comment