Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Pecan Island

When Jason first announced that he wanted a camp, I was thinking that the inter-coastal canal in Orange Beach, AL would be perfect.  He was thinking closer.  He built our camp in the backyard and pulled it to a small lot near the Pecan Island Canal which takes us straight to White Lake.  Phase One, as he calls it, consists of a bathroom/laundry room and a kitchen/living/bed room.  He thought that I would go once or twice and be done with the whole thing.  I discovered quickly that I am more of myself in Pecan Island.  I am calmer and happier there.

We needed more room so he added a large porch and screened it in.  This is Phase Two.  Our porch almost doubled our living area.  Everything was cozy until Genevieve came along.  Luckily Jason loves a project so he started on an addition.  He built "Mommy's Camp" (or Phase Three).  I now have a beautiful bedroom, bathroom, and walk-in, cedar-lined closet.  We got furniture from a friend who was remodeling and bought a studio couch and chair from World Market.  Jason let me decorate with beautiful drapes and tons of pillows.  My new room is fancier than the one at our home!  I love being there.  I can read or pray while the others are fishing and crabbing.  I can work on projects and cook.  I can spend time with my children without being distracted by laundry, dusting, and other to dos.

We have met so many people who have become our dear friends.  We share meals and our fishing bounty.  We also share hot fishing spots and trout lines.  We attend mass at the simple church.  Everyone knows when we are there because we usually have the only children attending.  The regular parishioners overlook Sam's fidgeting and Genevieve's noises.  Jason and one of the men always talk about the weather after mass.  We don't know his name but we miss "Weatherman" when he is not there.  There is a lady who makes the best pepper jelly and garfish patties.  We bring her fresh jalapenos from Jason's garden and mason jars and she fills them up.  The pianist and soloist always close with "Immaculate Mary" or "Amazing Grace" when we are there because they know that my children know every word and will sing with everything they have.

At first I agreed with Jason that I would not like Pecan Island.  I really thought that I would go two or three times a year to be polite.  Now I am the one encouraging the weekend trips.  It is more than the crabs and fish, more than the friends, and more than the fun.  It is the ability to do things that I can't do at home and be the person that I want to be without being bogged down by my every day life.

No comments:

Post a Comment