Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

The Family who Sleeps Together has a Tired Mom and Dad

I never know who will be in my bed come morning.  I can almost guarantee that Jason will not be there and that Genevieve will.  However, I never know who else will show up during the night.  Sunday morning I woke up at 4:00 and was surprised to see Annelise laying were Jason belongs.  I remember watching TV with her late Saturday night and I guess she fell asleep.  Luke was there also.  I don't remember when he showed up.  He usually stands at my bedside and sucks his thumb LOUDLY until I wake up and then asks if he can climb in.  I always say no but he always gets in anyway.  I don't remember if we had this exchange that night.

Typically Jason starts off in the twin size race car bed with the two boys.  I don't know how he can handle sleeping shoved between these two nighttime ninjas especially when his feet hang over the hood.  He claims that it is easier than walking them back to their bed umpteen times during the night.  I try to wake Jason up before I go to sleep and walk him back to our bed but he usually finds his way back to the boys room.  He built this bed with a family friend when he was fourteen for his little brother.  Their nephew used it and so did several other lucky little boys that we know.  We were excited when it made its way back to our house.  The boys love that bed and are proud to show visitors their dad's handiwork.  I just wished that they could love it as much without Jason in it.

Meredith and Katherine sleep upstairs (or on the couch or in a recliner or with Annelise or on the floor in my room).  They have learned to be quiet in their nighttime shuffle.  I woke early one morning not too long ago to find Meredith in the boys bed along with Jason, Luke, and Sam.  She got sick during the night and Jason in his exhausted stupor told her to climb in.  Four people in one twin bed is a bit much if you ask me.  I was just grateful that I was not involved.

Annelise sleeps in a full-size bed along with about twenty pillows.  I often have a hard time finding her in the morning amongst all that fluff.  She is also a nighttime roamer.  I have found myself shaking every lump in her bed only to discover that she is on the couch, in a recliner, in her sisters' room, or on the floor in my room.  The only TV allowed on during weeknights is the one in my room.  She usually sneaks in on Thursday nights to watch Project Runway, her favorite show, and then falls asleep.

I try to remind everyone that they would be more comfortable in their own beds with their own pillows and blankets.  They obviously aren't buying it.  I am not sure if I will miss this nocturnal dance of bed swapping when they are grown.  As of now, I just want to sleep through the night any way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment