Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Organizing Our Life - Operation Clean-out

Living in a house with seven other people is usually fun, always busy, and somewhat overwhelming.  We have a lot of stuff.  When the temperature starts dropping most people think of fall things like football, Rice Festival, and Halloween.  I think of Christmas, or more precisely Christmas presents.  My thoughts immediately turn to those presents...not buying them but housing them.  We limit the number of presents that each child gets.   Jesus received three gifts and St. Nicholas sends three to each of us as well.  That would be manageable if the gifts would stop there.  Of course, they don't.  Presents from grandparents; Mom and Dad; aunts, uncles, and cousins; and friends also have to find a home.  We appreciate and look forward to every gift but dread where they will go.

I am going to be smart this year and begin "Operation Clean-out" now.  As a bonus, I will be blogging about my success (I am optimistic at this point).  I may bore you but please bear with me.  I am holding myself accountable and writing about it is the motivation I need to get it done.  I am starting with the kitchen only because I am not up for the challenge of the toys just yet.  I will be devoting thirty minutes a day to one specific area.  If you decide to join me, let me know how things are going in your own house.  I give up easily and need the encouragement!  For an added bonus, I will be offering up each task for those who are less fortunate and saying a prayer of thanksgiving for the abundance in our life.  I just began reading a book called "Smart Martha" by Tami Kiser.  She writes about tackling Martha tasks with a Mary attitude.  The story of Martha and Mary can be found in Luke 10:38-42.  I am hoping that I can see these tasks as a blessing and not the burden that they currently feel like.

The task of the day is cleaning the refrigerator.  Luckily, my children clear it out every weekend so this necessary job is somewhat easy.  I checked every expiration date and reorganized the shelves, wiped everything down, and made a grocery list of the things that we need.  I thought about moving on to the freezer but taking on too much is how I get "burned out"!  I am saving that for tomorrow.  I am sure I will find some interesting things in the one outside.  If my children are not picked up from school tomorrow, please send someone to find me - start by looking in that freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment