Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I Do What I Have to Do

I just had my children's pictures taken by a very famous New York photographer (well, sort of famous - I know her and so do a lot of people I know!) .  The pictures captured their personality and their smiles.  When the order form for school pictures came in with a choice of three poses and eleven backgrounds, it caused a buzz in our house.  Imagine school pictures and choices!  I reminded the children that Laura did a wonderful job and they would actually like these pictures in twenty years.  I thought that we were all in agreement that we would NOT be purchasing the school pics.

I must have been the only one who understood our agreement.  Both girls were  crying this morning because they really wanted to pick their pose and background and BUY the pictures.  Luke said that he wanted to give his best friend a picture so he could remember him on the weekends.  I caved...I mean the cheapest package was $15 and part of that money went to the school.  I thought that we were good.  However, I noticed during breakfast that Luke's bangs were almost touching his nose (the tip not the bridge). I quickly grabbed some scissors and chopped away.  His hair is his armor.  He hides behind that hair like knights hide behind their shield.  After I was done, he ran to the dining room and cried.  I had taken his security.

I finally got him to settle down with promises of roses and sunshine and maybe a peanut butter cup.  Don't judge me!  I thought that we were good once again.  Unfortunately while brushing her teeth, Katherine remembered that she has three large bug bites on her face that she has scratched incessantly for the past week.  The tears started flowing again.  She no longer wanted school pictures.  Great, easy fix until three minutes later when she decided that she did want the pictures just not the bug bites.  Um, not so easy fix.  Luckily, those sweet people at Lifetouch offer retouching for a mere six bucks.

Looking back, I should have held my ground.  I should have stuck with the plan.  I should have woken up thirty minutes earlier and  had one extra cup of coffee so that I could have dealt with this better.  I know it is the little things that matter so much when you are little.  My reasoning for not buying the pictures was no match for their need to purchase them...I mean you get to pick the pose and the backdrop!

No comments:

Post a Comment