Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Milk Day

Today is "milk day".  For the last ten years, the milk person has delivered our milk, bread, eggs, orange juice, ham, and various other dairy products.  We had to stop saying milkman because our current delivery person is a woman - we are very PC!  This is my biggest luxury in life.  It all started when I discovered that taking two small children to the grocery store was pure torture and they didn't like it either.  I quickly learned that eggs and toddlers can't be in the cart together.  I followed the truck one day and told the driver my address and they have been coming ever since.  Well almost...Borden's announced at the end of last year that they would no longer offer a delivery service, I cried actual tears.  Luckily, one of the supervisors decided to open Dairyman, Inc. and continue the deliveries.

In the earlier years I could not manage two children in the grocery store by myself.  I would sweat and my eye would twitch.  Now I take six children everywhere.  I laugh at the way I was and applaud who I have become (well only on this one topic!).  I keep telling my children how patient I am now and they almost believe me.  I think back often to our life before our six pack.  We ate in restaurants four times a week but almost never went bowling.  We watched newly released movies in the theater but almost never played with Legos.  We could go as we pleased but we almost never went to the Jump Zone, Mr. Gatti's, or any other "fun" place.  I had manicured nails, matching shoes, and a clean car.  Now I have hang nails, matching shoes (some things are too important to give up), and a suburban with an unidentifiable smell and a dented lift gate.  I learned in those early days to improvise and find solutions.  The milkman solved my grocery drama and I am forever grateful!

1 comment: