Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Nov. 4...I am thankful for "do-ers"

St. Katharine Drexel is one of my favorite saints.  She was a "do-er".  She didn't start out this way.  With prayer and action she made a huge impact on the world.  She asked Pope Leo XII to send missionaries and he responded that she should be the missionary.  She took this advice and founded the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament for Indians and Colored People which serviced her two great loves...devotion to the Blessed Sacrament and the deprived people of our country.   She opened many schools throughout the United States including Xavier University in NOLA which was the first university to serve black students.  Her great wealth afforded her the ability to fund these institutions.  However, without her love of God and his people, she may not have followed through.

Yesterday, someone messaged me about the impact my blog has made on her life.  This was so humbling.  While I don't know her very well, I see this person as a "do-er".  She takes on projects and follows them to completion.  We are all called to be productive and she answers this call again and again.  We may not all make the impact of St. Katharine Drexel but today I am thankful for people who "do" in whatever way they can.  I am inspired by the actions of others and the impact these actions make.  I wish that I could take on more challenges...I wish that I could be more of a "do-er".

No comments:

Post a Comment